Hair shafts are protected from breakage because of the presence of oil glands. However, if oil is secreted in excess due to the abnormal production of sebum, an oily substance, it causes your scalp to get greasy and oily. Oily scalp can lead to dandruff and make your scalp itchy.
These simple hair care tips will help you to control oil on your scalp and keep it clean and healthy.
- Wash your hair regularly to prevent oils accumulating on your hair scalp. However, do take care that you are using a mild shampoo that is specially formatted for oily scalp. The best type of shampoo is the one that manages to remove extra oil from your scalp without making your hair dry. You can consider using La Roche Posay Kerium Oily Dandruff Gel Shampoo for Oily Scalp to nourish your hair scalp and also eliminate any occurrence of dandruff.
- When shampooing your hair, ensure that you rinse it thoroughly. Try not leaving any soap or shampoo residue on your hair, as it will only attract more oil and dirt. It is crucial that you wash off every bit of lather and shampoo from your scalp and hair, to keep it clean and healthy.
- Avoid using extra greasy conditioners on your scalp to avoid over-moisturizing. Apply appropriate conditioners on the ends of the hair to stop them from drying out.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and then take a shower with cold water to close the cuticles and add shine to your hair. It will help to strip off extra oil from your scalp and prevent it from returning back.
- Try avoiding products that can increase the oil on your scalp. If possible, stay away from greasy gels, mousses, and hair sprays that weigh down your hair and make your hair look oily. Products that are tailored specifically for oily hair will help to nourish your hair.
- Brushing your hair vigorously can stimulate the oil glands and increase oil production on your scalp. Brush only as much you need to keep your hair tangle-free.
- Products with extra shine features tend to contain various oils that end up making your hair greasier. Stay away from such products, and instead, look for volumizing products that contain less oil and moisturizers.
- If you are looking for a quick fix to make your hair look fresh, you can use baby powder or dry shampoo. Use of dry shampoo will also eliminate the need of washing your hair daily and will leave your tresses lighter and less greasy in no time.
Home hair treatments for oily hair
- Alcohol has a drying effect on the hair, and reduces the greasiness. You can use beer to rinse and clean your hair to make it shine. Mix half cup of beer with a couple of cups of water and rinse your hair with this mixture after shampooing it thoroughly.
- Aloe vera is considered to be one of the best natural remedies for oily hair. Use Aloe vera gel to balance the oils in your hair. Mix aloe vera gel with your shampoo, and add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Shampoo your hair regularly with this solution. It will keep your hair oil-free and maintain your natural shine.
- Apple cider vinegar is an effective treatment for oily hair. Make a solution with a one-quarter cup of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water, and massage your scalp with it. Leave it on your scalp for a few minutes before rinsing it off with an oil-free shampoo. Regular use of this treatment will help to control oil on your scalp.
- Lemon can be very useful for your oily hair. Mix juice of two lemons with a cup of distilled water. After washing your hair, thoroughly apply this solution on your scalp and hair, and leave it for five minutes before rinsing it carefully. Lemon juice will eliminate dandruff from your hair and will also help to manage your hair oil.