Split ends are one of the most common hair problems. They occur when the protective outer layer of the hair cuticle wears out because of aggressive shampoos, heat styling, chemical treatments, dry hair, and exposure to the sun, heat, and pollution. However, by taking proper care of your tresses, you can prevent them from reoccurring and help your hair become lustrous, healthy, and radiant.
Hair care tips for preventing split ends
- Trim your hair regularly as it will remove split ends and keep your locks healthy and growing. However, the frequency of hair trimming will depend upon your hair type, hair style, and the rate of occurrence of split ends in your hair.
- Split ends need extra nourishment and moisturizing to prevent them from repeatedly occurring. A leave-in-conditioner or serum will be beneficial for your mane as it will give much-needed moisture to your ends and prevent them from drying. Consider using Joico K-Pak Protect & Shine Serum to leave your glossy and healthy. It will polish and seal the cuticles to prevent split ends and frizziness in your hair.
- If your hair is naturally dry and regularly suffer from split ends, following a deep conditioning treatment can mend your hair ends and moisturize them. Using TIGI Bedhead Ego Boost Split End Mender may help to smooth your dry ends and prevent it from further damages.
- When using a hair dryer to style your hair, try to avoid pointing direct heat on your ends, unless it is necessary. If possible, towel-dry your hair to keep it safe from any undue heat damage. Vigorous drying is also not considered beneficial for your hair. Wet hair should be gently squeezed with a towel to remove excess water.
- Avoid using hot water for shampooing your hair, as it quickly dries your ends. Instead, use lukewarm water to rinse your tresses.
- Avoid brushing your hair when they are wet, as wet hair is more prone to damage and breaking. Also, invest in a wide-combed tooth, to gently detangle your shower-fresh hair.
- Always condition your hair after shampooing them. Be sure, to apply a good hair conditioner on the ends of your hair as it experiences maximum dryness and damage.
- When using heating products, such as straighteners or curlers, ensure that you apply a protective layer of heat protection products, to save your hair from the damage. If possible, try to avoid heating products on the ends of your hair.
- Use a moisturizing shampoo to clean your hair. Too much shampooing can dry your hair and strip the hair of its natural oils. Try using tailor-made products for split ends to transform your dry, damaged hair into shiny and soft hair.
- When curling the hair, try not place the heat directly at the ends, instead, begin from the root and guide your hair through the curling as you keep twisting them. It will keep the intense heat away from your ends and provide only the needed heat to hold your hair style.
Natural remedies for split ends
- Oil therapy is very effective for taking care of split ends. You can use various natural oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil to gently massage your scalp. You can keep the oil overnight or leave it for few hours before washing your hair, to treat hair problems including hair fall, dry hair, and split ends.
- Shea butter and cocoa butter are also very effective in treating split ends. You can apply a layer on your freshly washed hair and allow them to dry naturally, to provide a healthy shine to your tresses.
- Using honey with curd makes an excellent conditioner for your hair. Using this mixture will relieve you from split ends and give you a healthy luster.
- An egg mask can also do wonders for your hair. Mix egg yolk with three tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey and gently massage it on your hair. Leave the mask for half an hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo.