Dry hair occurs when your hair does not receive enough moisture. It can leave your hair dull, lusterless and brittle. Dry hair can be a result of various external factors such as harsh shampoos, chemical hair treatments, excessive styling, sun and wind exposure, or high mineral content in water. Internal factors such as an illness can also leave your hair frizzy and lifeless. A well-balanced diet and regular moisturizing can do wonders to revive your hair in its natural beauty.
Follow these simple tips to give luster and shine to your hair.
- Shampooing too often or using an incorrect product is often the cause for dry hair. Harsh ingredients in shampoos can strip natural oils from your hairs that hold the moisture. If possible, don't wash your hair more than three times a week to regain your hair's natural luster. Try using dedicated shampoos for dry hair care such as E45 Dry Scalp Shampoo or Eucerin Dry Scalp Relief Shampoo Dermo Capillaire to lock your hair's moisture and prevent it from drying.
- When taking a hair bath, skip hot water, and instead use lukewarm water. Hot water makes your hair extremely dry and brittle and washes away the protective natural oils that cover your stands.
- Try not to use any heat-styling products without ensuring proper heat protection. Most hair-styling products like straighteners and curlers are hard on your hair, destroying the natural oils present on the surface of your hair. Use of heat protection products will guard you against hair-damaging heat.
- Dry hair is very fragile and is especially prone to breakage if not handled with care. So try not to hold your hair forcefully in stiff pony tails and braids. Do not brush your hair when it is wet, as wet hair is most vulnerable to falling out. Detangle your damp hair with a wide comb before brushing it gently.
- If possible, try to limit or avoid the usage of products that contain alcohol. Alcohol can damage your hair further, making it dry and lifeless.
- Treat your hair with moisturizers and conditioners, once a week, especially in winter months, when your hair tends to get dry faster. These treatments will give your hair a natural shine and leave them soft and shiny. Look for products with natural oils such as olive oil or argan oil, glycerin, or Shea butter.
- Wear a hat or a scarf before venturing out in the blazing sun or windy weather. It will protect your hair from any damage caused by unpleasant weather conditions.
- Giving a regular trim to your hair is a great way to keep your hair healthy. Trimming will reduce the chance of having dry, splitting ends.
Natural treatments for dry hair
- Vinegar is an extremely good conditioner for dry hair, and it also curbs dandruff that contributes towards dull appearance of your hair. Take a half cup of vinegar and add two cups of water in it. Use this solution as a conditioner after you have rinsed the shampoo out of your hair. Keep it for few minutes before washing it away with lukewarm water.
- Aloe vera helps to keep your hair shiny and soft and makes your frizzy hair manageable. Use aloe vera gel or fresh aloe vera in your daily health regime.
- Curd is also a very good option for treating dry hair. Evenly apply curd on your hair and leave it for fifteen minutes before gently rinsing it off with a mild shampoo.
- Another dry hair care remedy is using egg oil to nourish your rough hair. It prevents hair fall, graying, and aging and keeps your hair in a healthier condition.
- Natural oils such as coconut oil, olive, or almond are considered to be best to lubricate your scalp and hair shafts and give it a much-needed moisture. Add essentials oils such as rosemary oil to boost the benefits of oiling. Try oiling your hair at least once a week before washing it off with a moisturizing shampoo and intensive conditioners.