Chesty coughs are caused by a build-up of mucus or phlegm in the lungs. Cough mechanism is a part of the basic reflex of your body to remove the irritant or blockage in your throat or upper air passages. It is a necessary process of recuperating from illness as it helps to expel the mucus.
A chesty cough, usually, accompanies with a cold or the flu, but it can also be caused because of a viral infection, or health problems such as tuberculosis, asthma, or lung cancer.
How to Treat a Chesty Cough Naturally?
- Turmeric has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of the mucus from your chest. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of warm milk and drink it twice a day to relieve your chesty cough. You can also add a pinch of salt in the milk as it will help you make productive coughs and clear out the phlegm from your lungs.
- Honey is also considered to be an effective chesty cough remedy. Warm milk mixed with honey can help to ease your discomfort. Drinking the milk before going to sleep will give you a good night's sleep.
- Take sufficient rest to support your body's immune system to repel the irritating symptoms of a chesty cough. If possible, try to limit or avoid any physical activities during the day to help your body recover against the symptoms of a chesty cough.
- If it is necessary to do your regular chores, you can consider taking cough syrups such as Benylin Chesty Coughs Non-Drowsy to help you get through your day. The non-drowsy formulation will help you to carry out your routine activities with the least discomfort.
- It is important to stay hydrated as coughing all day can make you parched. Drink plenty of water and also take various liquids such as clear juices, warm broths and soups. Water will also help you, to naturally thin out the mucus from your system.
- Menthol preparations can help to remove phlegm with productive coughs. It relieves congestion and clears out your chest. It is an effective chesty cough remedy for your troublesome coughs.
- You can try various herbs such as ivy, thyme, liquorice root to help clear out your respiratory tract of excessive mucus and also reduce inflammation. The various preparations made using these herbs will work as an expectorant and will loosen up your mucus.
- Rub a menthol ointment on your chest to aid you in breathing, especially in the night. It is an all-natural tool to help you break up mucus from your lungs and give you a peaceful sleep.
- A hot shower might help you to loosen secretion from your nose and clear the accumulated mucus in your chest. Moist air will ease your breathing and clear up the build-up in your airway.
- If you are experiencing chest congestion in addition to the chesty coughs, you might find taking Robitussin Chesty Coughs with Congestion cough syrup useful. It will ease your congestion, break down your phlegm, and clear your nasal passages.
Most coughs clear out or significantly improve within two weeks; however, if you do not experience any improvement in your symptoms, it is advisable that you seek medical help as soon as possible.