Dry coughs and tickly coughs are known as non-productive coughs as they do not produce any mucus or phlegm. A dry cough occurs when the back of your throat becomes inflamed or irritated and is, usually, caused by a common cold or the flu. It can also be caused by pollution, allergies, smoke, dust, and smog. Having a dry cough can disturb your daily routine; however, these simple remedies can help to bring you relief.
Tips to relieve a dry cough
- It is important that you stay hydrated as drinking fluids will thin out the mucus in postnasal drip and keep your mucous membranes moist. Fortifying your body with plenty of water will keep your throat moist and reduce the itching symptoms.
- Try menthol syrup that numbs the back of the throat and helps to decrease the cough reflex. You can consider taking Covonia Bronchial Balsam to get relief from unproductive coughs.
- A steam treatment will ensure that you loosen the secretions in your nose and ease your cough. Steam showers will also do the trick and will will add moisture to your throat.
- Salt gargling proves to be very beneficial for a sore throat. Warm a cup of water and add a pinch of salt to it. Gargling with this solution thrice a day is an effective dry cough remedy.
- Antioxidants-rich green tea can work wonders for your dry cough. Adding a teaspoon of honey will further augment the benefits of green tea and provide a soothing effect to your throat.
- To get a good night's sleep, try drinking warm milk with a teaspoon of honey. Honey will coat your throat with its smoothness and warm milk will provide relief to the irritating tissues in your throat.
- Ginger is extensively used to provide instant relief in dry cough. With anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it's a powerful herb to treat your cough. You can suck on freshly-cut ginger slices with a pinch of salt sprinkled on it. If you like tea, you can also add freshly-squeezed ginger juice to it, and drink it twice a day. Adding a stick of cinnamon to it will intensify its benefits.
- Turmeric is another herb that possesses a healing power to treat your dry cough. Drinking milk with turmeric powder mixed in it is considered to be an ideal treatment for cough. Adding a pinch of salt to the milk will give you added benefits. Alternatively, you can boil water with a tablespoon of turmeric powder and carom seeds and drink this solution two to three times a day to soothe your itchy throat.
- Taking syrups specially formulated for dry coughs will help you, to bring instant relief to your dry coughs. Lemsip Chesty Cough may help you to ease your dry coughs and also ease the symptoms of chest congestion.
These tips may help you to alleviate your pain and bring you relief. However, do see a doctor if you see no significant improvement in your dry coughs for more than two weeks.