Sinusitis is the swelling or inflammation of the tissues that line the sinuses. Sinuses are the hollow spaces behind the bones of the face that are filled with air. However, due to some reaction, these spaces are blocked and filled with fluids that contain bacteria, fungi, or viruses resulting in an infection. Sinus problems are very common and can affect people from all age groups. However, with proper treatment, you can effectively treat them and prevent them from occurring again.
Treating a sinus infection will relieve nasal inflammation, clear your nasal passages, and eliminate infection from your nose and throat. Follow these simple remedies to get effective relief from sinus problems in the comfort of your home.
Simple and effective home remedies to treat sinus problems
- A hot compress is an effective sinus treatment to drain out mucus and get a relief from a blocked nose. To create a hot compress, dip a towel in hot water, squeeze out the residual water, and place it on your cheeks and forehead to calm your sinuses.
- Inhaling steam is yet another useful home remedy. Inhaling steam for 10-15 minutes will loosen up your thickened mucus. You can also add a few drops of herbal oils such as eucalyptus oil or peppermint to intensify the benefits of steam treatment.
- Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid as its primary constituent that helps preventing bacteria growth. Drink a glass of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey to combat your sinus infection.
- Hot fluids thin out your mucus and effectively evacuate them from your system. Not only do they lubricate the mucous membranes, but also prevent thickening of the mucus. Make sure that you incorporate plenty of fluids in your diet such as warm broths, chicken soup, and clear liquids to reduce congestion and pain.
- Doing gentle massages on your cheeks or forehead with oregano oil can relieve the sinus pressure and inflamed sinus cavities.
- Use Neti pot to irrigate your nasal passages and flush out the nasal cavity. By passing water in your nasal cavity, you help to clear out all the bacteria and viruses that have accumulated in your passages. Using saline water in the Neti pot is often recommended by the experts as it is found to have antifungal and antiviral properties.
- Inhaling moist air is beneficial during a sinus infection as it provides moisture and humidity within the nose. A humidifier will add moisture to the air and will help to liquefy your mucus.
- Adding spicy foods, such as cayenne peppers, in your daily diet will help reducing the symptoms of sinus infection to a great extent. It will decongest your nose and will also curb the development of mucus in your nose.
- Ginger is perhaps one of the oldest remedies used to treat any nasal ailment. Ginger is renowned for its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants to treat various symptoms of sinus infection. Regular intake of ginger tea or ginger juice will help in exterminating the sinus infection.
- If the above home remedies do not relieve your symptoms, you can also consider taking dedicated sinus medication to provide you relief. Sudafed Sinus Pressure & Pain Tablets or Beechams Flu Plus Capsules will assist in tackling the symptoms of your sinus problem.