Indigestion, or its medical term Dyspepsia, causes us heartburn, bloating, gas, and vomiting. Among other things, it makes one feel uncomfortable and uneasy. While we all have problems with indigestion at one time or the other, it can be intensified and multiplied by unhealthy eating habits, increased stress levels, and an inactive lifestyle. Additionally, overeating or eating foods that your stomach is not used to can bring on bouts of indigestion. Even though indigestion is not a serious illness, when it strikes it hampers our daily activities.
There are many medications that can help you have a healthy digestive system, but improving your lifestyle and using natural indigestion remedies can significantly help to cure a troubled stomach. You can easily get relief from indigestion by using the common ingredients found in your pantry.
Here is a rundown of some of the most common indigestion remedies for curing tummy sickness:
- Drink a glass of water to get instant relief. Water dilutes stomach acids, giving you much-needed relief from burning and bloating.
- Apple cider vinegar, known for its antibiotic properties, can help settle an upset stomach. Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water with a teaspoon of honey, and drink it thrice a day to get quick relief.
- Fennel seeds are extremely useful for indigestion caused by eating oily or spicy food. For a quick indigestion remedy, just chew a spoonful of fennel seeds to soothe your stomach instantly. Alternatively, you can drink fennel tea by adding fennel seed powder to your tea. The oil in fennel seeds helps reduce the feeling of nausea and restrain flatulence.
- Bloating caused by overeating can be instantly solved with ginger, as it stimulates digestive juices and increase the flow of enzymes in your body. If you like raw ginger, just sprinkle salt on some fresh ginger slices and chew it, to calm your stomach. You can also make ginger tea or drink ginger juice as an effective indigestion remedy.
- If you are suffering from a buildup of stomach acids, then baking soda is your best bet. It acts like anti-acid and is a simple cure for bloated stomach. Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda into a half glass of water and drink it to neutralize the acid in your stomach.
- Herbal tea can be an excellent pain reliever to reduce indigestion. Drink warm herbal tea after a heavy meal to ease your stomach pain. You can opt for peppermint or chamomile teas as both are excellent for bringing instant relief.
- Having an orange, or fresh orange juice, prior to eating a heavy meal will help in improving your digestion capacity. The citric and ascorbic acid present in the fruit greatly helps to calm your stomach.
These are some of the popular natural indigestion remedies to ease your stomach pain. However, if the symptoms continue after trying natural remedies, you can try taking medications like Digestion Calming Drops or Ginger Capsules to calm your ailing stomach. If the symptoms continue for longer, ask your doctor for advice.