Using the right products on your skin can make all the difference in the world, but sometimes it can be hard to make the right choice. Each of us has a unique and individual skin tone, texture, and feel. Individual skin has individual needs.
When shopping for skin care products ask the following:
- What is my individual skin type?
- Oily, dry, combination, or sensitive skin?
- Is my skin fair, medium, or dark?
Most skincare products and brands are specially made to meet these basic skincare needs. If your skin is dry and sensitive, you might try searching for products that are for dry/sensitive skin instead of a product that is more rich and heavy. If your skin is dark you may want a product that will balance out the moisture and tone.
If you need treatment or prevention for your skin ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have acne, scars, rosacea, dark spots, or obvious pigmentation?
- Do I have wrinkles?
- Do I have enlarged pores or blackheads?
- Does my skin burn easily?
- Do I just need simple skin care maintenance?
Most skincare products cater to these treatment and prevention needs. Check the labels and decide if the specification matches your need.
Other tips for choosing great skincare products
- Have a daily skincare routine and keep up to date with the needs of your skin. That way when you go shopping you know exactly what your skin needs.
- Be cautious when new brands parade “miracle” skincare products. At times these products may not be healthy for your skin in the long run.
- Don’t buy a product without knowing a bit about it. If you’ve read the product labels and know it’s for you then go for it, but do be cautious about ingredients. Be aware of what ingredients are in the product you are buying and make sure you are not allergic to any of them.
- Get day creams that are sun protecting and are least SPF 30. These will protect you from the sun and help maintain your youthful looks for longer.
- If in doubt about a skin care product, ask for help.