Vaginal itching or irritation can cause you a great amount of discomfort and even make it difficult to perform basic routines throughout your day. To help you avoid these uncomfortable situations, follow these tips for avoiding vaginal irritation.
- While special occasion lingerie is usually lace or nylon, it’s best to wear cotton undergarments throughout the day. Cotton allows the skin to breathe and keeps away bacteria that thrive in warm, moist areas.
- Don’t wear tight and restricting clothes at all times of the day. Allow your skin to air out.
- Avoid using harsh soaps and deodorising sprays on your vagina. It’s always best to opt for a milder non-soap body wash as the stronger ones can upset the vagina’s delicate pH balance.
- After using the toilet, wipe front to back.
- In some cases a diet that contains lots of processed foods and alcohol can cause vaginal irritation. As much as possible maintain a healthy nutritious diet.
- Drink plenty of water or herbal tea throughout the day to flush the system of toxins. Peeing regularly also helps to wash away bacteria from the vagina. Resisting the urge to pee and holding it in for long amounts of time can increase germs and thus upset the pH balance.
- Pee after sex to cleanse the vagina of any bacteria. It’s also a good idea to shower directly after.
- If needed, use a natural lubricant during sex.
- Some women suffer from cystitis more than others. If this is the case for you, try drinking more cranberry juice and taking cranberry tablets. Cranberries are helpful in treating urinary tract infections and contain antioxidants that keep the system free from disease.
While vaginal itching is a fairly normal condition that can be treated, there are times when it can also be a sign of a more serious infection. For this reason, it’s always a good idea to consult your healthcare provider for advice.