What causes irritation?
Vaginal irritation can be caused by a change in the pH balance of the skin. The skin of intimate areas is different to the rest of the skin on your body and is naturally more acidic to help prevent infections. When the pH balances is disturbed you become more prone to irritation and infection. This can happen because of factors like:
- Antibiotics: In some cases antibiotics can destroy ‘good’ bacteria and increase the risk of infection.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: During these times hormone levels alter pH levels.
- Heat and sweat: Changes in the weather, wearing tight underwear and jeans, exercising, and sex contribute.
- Monthly cycle: Your hormones change during your monthly cycle and alter the pH balance just before and during your period. During these times you are more prone to infection and sanitary protection products that are perfumed can also contribute to discomfort.
- Perfumed or high pH wash products: Products like perfumed shower gels and creams can cause irritation if you have sensitive skin.
To avoid vaginal infection should I only wash with water?
If you do have a vaginal infection the most important thing to do is limit any causes of irritation to sensitive skin. In the past the most common belief was to limit the use of any shower gels for cleaning the vagina, but we now know that it is safe to use a gentle body wash as long as it does not contain soap or perfumes. You can also look through the Femfresh range for delicate washes that are made especially for delicate skin and help maintain the right pH balance. Also, wearing lighter cotton underwear and wearing loose fitting clothing more often will help the skin to breathe and heal.
What are the benefits of using Femfresh hygiene products?
Avoiding irritation is key to maintaining a healthy pH balance. All Femfresh products are specially formulated to be pH balanced and help promote a protective environment. Femfresh products are recommended by dermatologists and gynaecologists as one of the gentlest cleansers. Washes, wipes, and deodorant sprays are hypoallergenic and protect the skin from irritation.