Studies show that almost 8 million people in the UK suffer from migraines. Migraines are caused by blood vessels in the brain and in the back of the head and neck constricting. They have no specific symptom. For some a migraine trigger may be extreme stress for another it may be an allergic reaction to a type of food. Migraines symptoms are often sharp stabbing pain in the sides of the head, visual disturbance and sickness are also symptoms.
The best way to avoid a migraine is to define the root cause and do your best to minimise it. If you suspect that a food in your diet may be causing you migraine attacks, you make need to adjust your diet. If you remove a particular food that you suspect is causing a migraine and you no longer suffer from migraines, then chances are you are allergic to that particular food and should refrain from eating it. You can later try re-introducing the suspect food just to be sure.
Even though much is being done in the field of research and there are available medications to help treat migraines, there are several things you can do to help prevent their intensity.
- Get support from family and friends so that they can be there to help you when have a migraine attack.
- Stay prepared when you're out and about. Carry Nurofen fast-acting painkillers along with you.
- It's important to take the painkiller as soon as you notice the migraines starting. Studies show that if you wait too long before taking the medication, the stomach's ability to absorb it is reduced later on.
- Plan ahead when it comes to cooking and house chores as well. If there is a day when a migraine strikes and you really need to rest, have freezer food on hand and a request responsible family member to help with the chores.
- Adjust the lighting of your home and work area.
- Take regular breaks from your work to get up and move around. Most often migraines at work are caused by the constant glare of the computer screen.
- Open the windows and allow more fresh air in. Migraines can also be caused by a lack of good, pure oxygen. If this is not possible take a little walk outside to refresh your mind.