Feel better with Benylin!
When coughs, colds and flu strike, hit back with Benylin. Whether you’re suffering from a cough or full blown cold including headache and congestion, we have an effective treatment to help relieve your symptoms. Plus, you can also give our suggestions below a try…
- Taking a breather.
- Keep hydrated with water or hot drinks and stay away from alcohol as it can actually cause nasal congestion.
- Take a steamy shower to moisturise your nasal passages and help you relax; if you’re feeling dizzy, wait until you’re steadier on your feet.
- Garlic is renowned for its ability to fight infection, so eating it may help relieve your symptoms. Take a large peeled clove of garlic and bite down every so often to release the natural juices. Replace with a new clove every four or five hours.
- Gargling with salt and warm water can also help relieve sore throats and nasal congestion. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup (240ml) of warm water. Gargle four times daily – but don’t swallow!
- Breathe warm steam. Add the essential oil, eucalyptus, to boost the decongestant effect.
- A dab of mentholated ointment under your nose can open breathing passages and help restore the irritated skin at the base of the skin. A humidifier can also help you breathe easier.
Get enough rest. You need between 8 to 10 hours of sleep a day while you're sick, to help your body direct its energy towards fighting the virus.
Drink plenty of decaffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids (10 to 12 glasses a day). Good choices include fresh orange juice or mineral water.
Sleep with an extra pillow. If the angle is too awkward, try placing the pillows between the mattress and the box springs to create a more gradual slope. This will help you feel less congested during the night.
Brew some garlic soup – it works in Mexico where a combination of water and garlic, boiled on a low flame for at least an hour, is thought to ease coughs.
Eat spicy foods. Thai, Indian or anything with added pepper can help to open up your blocked nasal passages both naturally and deliciously.