For centuries flower essences have been used as natural remedies for curing the sick and calming the mind, and till today they play an important part in herbal medicine and complementary therapies like those found in Bach Flower Remedies, homeopathy, and aromatherapy.
Bach Remedies use natural and essential flower essences like:
- Walnut flowers are used for treating nervousness.
- Clematis is used for increasing concentration.
- Star of Bethlehem is used for lessening shock.
- Larch is used for building confidence.
- Cherry plum is used for calming fear.
- White chestnut is used for encouraging a positive outlook.
- Foxglove, in the 17th century, was noted for helping treat cardiovascular problems. It is still used today to by doctors and paramedics for treating cardiac problems like atrial fibrillation and heart failure.
- Lily of the valley is used for treating heart conditions, dropsy, gouty feet, and works as a natural diuretic.
- Roses are used for their high level of vitamin C, they also have anti-inflammatory properties and are useful for relieving joint pain. Extracts are also given to patients to treat coughs and colds.
- Lavender, in centuries past, was often sewed in decorative patterns into pillows and bed sheets. Today we know that it does in fact help a person sleep better and beat sleeping disorders. It also aids digestion and relieves flatulence. Lavender can also be used as a natural antiseptic for treating skin problems and clearing the skin of acne.
- Chamomile, probably best known for aiding sleep and digestion, also helps headaches, stomach cramps, and indigestion.
- Evening primrose helps to ease depression, balance hormones, and reduce prostate swelling.