Sneezes, sniffles, or coughing fits can put a serious wrench into daily life. This year, help safeguard your family against illnesses with some preseason training for the cold and flu seasons.
Boost your immune system.
A healthy immune system is the best weapon against getting sick during cold and flu season. Keep your family's natural defenses strong with these simple tactics: Avoid stress. Studies show that it hampers your ability to stay healthy, so anything you can do to combat stress helps fight colds and the flu. Try taking a mini meditation break during the day—simply close your eyes and focus on breathing in and out for a few minutes.
Stick with a bedtime. When you consistently log eight hours of sleep a night, your body has the chance to repair cells and build up your immune system. Eat right and exercise. Stock up on fruits and vegetables to give your body the nutrients it needs, and shoot for 30 minutes of moderate activity at least three times a week. Get a flu shot. Think of it as your secret weapon during flu season. It's approved for people older than 6 months, so consult your doctor to see if the whole family should be vaccinated.
When you keep germs at bay during cold and flu season, you can lower your odds of getting sick. Try these simple habits to help avoid stuffy noses and sore throats:
- Wash your hands. And talk to your children about why it's important to wash theirs. A typical hand washing—before a meal, after going to the bathroom, or anytime you cough, sneeze, or blow your nose—should last 20 seconds. It's roughly the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice in your head.
- Bring backup. Try sticking a bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse to fight germs when you're on the go.
- Clean your desk. It's a hot spot for germs at the office. Invest in some disinfectant wipes and clean your desk, keyboard, mouse, and phone.
Be prepared for cold and flu season.
Despite your best efforts, it can be tough to make it through cold and flu season without anyone in the family feeling under the weather. Stock up on the essentials while everyone is still healthy:
- Puffs tissues
- Vicks cold and flu medications
- Vicks Cough Drops or Cough Syrups
- Chicken, vegetable, or tomato soups
- Soothing herbal teas
- Vicks Thermometer