Our bodies need a well balanced diet, good sleep and a healthy amount of exercise to stay fit and healthy. Iron plays an important part in maintaining our health. Our bodies need iron for the formation of red blood cells and for our metabolism. Iron is needed for the formation of haemoglobin, which is responsible for the transport of oxygen from the lungs to all the body cells. It is also responsible for carrying carbon dioxide back to the lungs where it will be exhaled at the end of this process.
A healthy balanced diet with enough iron rich foods can often provide our bodies with an adequate amount of iron. But there are extra demands placed on some peoples bodies that make it difficult for them to get the iron they need from their diet alone. These people are:
- Women and girls – women and girls of child bearing age have great demands on their bodies and their iron reserves through menstruation and hormonal changes.
- Expectant and recent mothers – during pregnancy and breast feeding, a woman's demands for iron becomes even greater than normal, as it is essential for the healthy growth and development of the baby.
- Slimmers and Vegetarians – Restricted diets may mean the diet is lacking in sufficient quantities of the right foods to maintain iron and vitamin levels – so Floradix or Floravital can be useful in making up the shortfall.
- Children and Adolescents – The physical growth of children can rapidly consume the body's iron, added to the fact that children's diets are often not as balanced as they should be – an iron supplement can be a safeguard for good health.
Not only do Salus Floradix and Floravital contain iron but they also contain:
- Vitamin B1 – helps the process of generating energy from food whilst maintaining the nervous and digestive systems.
- Vitamin B2 – Ensures energy release from food and helps production and repair of body tissue. Important for healthy hair, eyes and nails.
- Vitamin B6 – Helps maintain healthy skin, nerves and muscles. Assists in the production of antibodies and hormones.
- Vitamin B12 – Needed for the formation of red blood cells in maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- Vitamin C – An antioxidant vitamin that assists iron absorption. Helps maintain healthy gums, teeth, skin and blood vessles.
Iron and Pregnancy
The nine months of pregnancy can sometimes be a difficult time for an expectant mother. Although there is excitement and anticipation there are many physical side effects of pregnancy that mothers-to-be have to endure. That is why it is essential that mums to be and new mums take extra care of themselves as their bodies need to perform at maximum performance levels.
During pregnancy the iron demand can rise significantly. Iron is essential for the transport of oxygen between the mother and her foetus as well as providing the baby with sufficient iron stores for the first few weeks following the birth. Iron is also essential for foetal growth particularly for normal brain development and to help prevent maternal anaemia. The blood volume increases considerably and consequently more iron is needed to form red blood cells. As it is difficult to meet this extra demand through a balanced diet alone, it is often recommended to take an iron supplement from week 13 or even earlier.
So Floradix and Floravital are great ways to supplement lots of peoples diets and ensure that they get an adequate amount of iron and vitamins to ensure that they stay fit and healthy.