Ovex for Threadworm Treatment available at Chemist Direct
Ovex tablets and suspension contain the active ingredient mebendazole, which is a type of medicine that is used to treat certain types of worm infections of the gut.
Mebendazole works by preventing the worms from being able to absorb sugars essential for their survival. This depletes the energy stores of the worms, leading to their eventual death within a few days. The dead worms are then excreted from the gut in the stools.
Ovex is used to treat threadworm infections. Threadworm (Enterobius vermicularis) is the most common worm infection. Both children and adults can be infected, although it's mostly found in children.
A single dose of one Ovex tablet or one 5ml spoonful of Ovex suspension is usually all that is needed, but a second dose can be taken after two weeks if the infection comes back. It is recommended that the whole family are treated at the same time.
So what can be done to control threadworms?
- If you have threadworms, it's important to shower in the morning in order to remove eggs and bacteria from the anal area.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after each visit to the bathroom and before each meal.
- Underwear should be changed daily.
- Bed sheets should be changed frequently, especially 7 to 10 days after the treatment.
- Infected children and adults should keep their nails short.
- Infected children should ideally wear cotton gloves when sleeping.
- Clean your home thoroughly, especially the bedrooms, and remove as much dust as possible.
- Do not eat food in your bedroom.
- If several family members are infected, you should all be treated on the same day.
- Avoid food and drinks containing a lot of sugar, and eat high-fibre food to prevent constipation.