Growing research and hundreds of case studies support the health benefits of a lycopene. Lycopene is not only the pigment that gives certain fruits and vegetables their rich red colour, but it also seems to be a miracle substance that is proven to reduce the risk of life threatening cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and macular degeneration.
Consuming a diet that contains more lycopene rich foods is strongly associated with a lower risk of cancer and heart disease, and reduced thickness of clogged carotid arteries. Health experts believe that studies are just scraping the surface of the vast potential that lycopene has in realm of health and healing. In the past few years, studies have shown that foods which contain lycopene and lycopene supplements are possibly effective for:
- Preventing lycopene deficiency
- Preventing diabetes
- Protection from prostate cancer: Earlier research showed that 4 mg of lycopene supplements taken twice a day might delay or entirely prevent the progression of prostate cancer in men with precancerous changes in their prostate. Having a diet that is rich in lycopene foods also offers protection for men who have a family history of prostate cancer.
- Breast cancer prevention
- Bladder cancer
- Ovarian cancer: A diet that contains lycopene rich foods helps to prevent the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Pancreatic cancer: A diet high in lycopene, especially tomatoes, lowers the risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Lung cancer: Research suggests 12 mg of lycopene per day for men and 6.5 mg per day for women to lower the risk of lung cancer in non-smoking men between ages of 40 to 7 and non-smoking women between the ages of 30 to 55.
- Colon and rectum cancer
- White precancerous patches in the mouth (oral leukoplakia) can be prevented or improved by taking 8 mg/day or 4 mg/day of lycopene supplements.
- Heart disease: Individuals who have higher levels of lycopene in their blood have a lower risk of developing heart disease.
- HPV (human papilloma virus): Individuals with higher levels of lycopene in their blood are able to recover from HPV infections more rapidly.
- Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Asthma attacks