An Omron blood pressure monitor can make blood pressure monitoring at home quick and easy. It is simple to learn and requires only a few steps to effectively operate. Before you take a reading using an Omron blood pressure monitor, find a quiet place to sit and relax for at least five minutes. It is very important that your body is relaxed while taking the reading, because even a small amount of movement or activity can affect the accuracy of the reading.
Importance of Daily Monitoring
High blood pressure can trigger a number of heart and circulatory complications, especially in individuals with diabetes, high cholesterol levels and other lifestyle diseases. As blood pressure abnormalities cause very few symptoms, they often go undetected. The only way to detect blood pressure problems is to have it measured using a blood pressure monitor.
Since the blood pressure readings can vary throughout the day, doctors now recommend that you take several readings in a day. With the latest Omron blood pressure monitor, you can easily measure and record multiple readings in the comfort of your home. Taking home blood pressure readings can help your physician get a better picture of your condition and the success of the prescribed treatments.
How to use an Omron blood pressure monitor
- Before wrapping the cuff on your arm, make sure that it is assembled properly. If not, pass the end of the cuff through the metal D-ring and form a loop in such a way that the smooth side is on the inside and the rough hook material is on the outside of the cuff.
- After a five minute rest, put your arm through the cuff loop, wrap it around the centre of your upper arm and pull the end of the cuff till it fits snugly before pressing the sewn hook surface firmly on the side of the cuff. Ensure that the cuff is not too tight on your arm. Ideally, you should be able to insert your index finger between the cuff and your arm without any difficulty.
- Place your arm on a flat table with your palm facing upward and make sure that the cuff is positioned at the same height as your heart. Be still and relaxed throughout the testing so that you get accurate blood pressure readings.
- If you are using a semi automatic blood pressure monitor, squeeze the inflation bulb until the cuff inflates till the monitor acknowledges the right amount of pressure. In fully automatic monitors, all you need to do is to put on the cuff and press the start button. The monitor will automatically handle the inflation and deflation of the cuff and display the blood pressure reading on the screen.
- Take multiple readings with a five minute interval between them, until you get a consistent value, because various factors like movement or talking can cause considerable fluctuations in the blood pressure values in each reading. Record each reading into the in-built memory of the monitor and print them on a paper for your doctor to peruse.