Aciclovir Cream 5% 2g
2g (Prescription Only)
To purchase this item, you must have a valid prescription.
You need to post your prescription to us before we can send it to you.
ACICLOVIR CREAM 5% is used for the treatment of herpes simplex virus infections of the skin such as cold sores and genital herpes. It is a private prescription item. To purchase this item you must have a private prescription from your doctor or medical professional.
Aciclovir Cream contains 5% of Aciclovir. It is a smooth white to off-white cream that also contains: cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, heavy liquid paraffin, polyethylene glycol - 5 glyceryl stearate, propylene glycol, sorbic acid, white soft paraffin and water.
Aciclovir is an antiviral agent that has been shown to be effective in preventing or treating infections of the skin caused by the herpes simplex virus, such as cold sores or genital herpes.
BEFORE USING YOUR MEDICINE
Make sure you have told your doctor if:
- you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast feeding.
- you have had a bad (allergic) reaction to any of the ingredients in the cream. The cream contains sorbic acid which can be irritant and cause dermatitis.
- your immune system is not working properly (for instance you have had a bone marrow transplant or you have AIDS).
- you are taking other medicines, such as probenecid, and any that you have bought without a prescription.
Adults (including elderly)
5 times daily at approximately 4 hourly intervals, omitting the night time application.
Duration: 5 days
- DO NOT use Aciclovir Cream 5% for herpes infections of the eye or inside the mouth. Although Aciclovir Cream 5% can be used to treat genital herpes, the cream should not be applied internally.
- Wash your hands before and after applying the cream, this will prevent your infection getting worse or spreading, or you infecting someone else.
- Apply the cream to the affected area of skin five times daily about every four hours for five days.
- If your infection has not healed after five days of treatment you can continue using the cream for another five days.
- If your infection has not healed after 10 days or gets worse during treatment you should consult your doctor.
If you forget a treatment of cream apply it as soon as you remember and then apply the next treatment at the usual time. You are very unlikely to suffer any bad effects if you accidentally swallow some Aciclovir Cream 5%, but if you notice any unusual effects or are worried contact your doctor.
AFTER USING YOUR MEDICINE
Aciclovir may occasionally cause side effects particularly when you first start using it.
These may include a burning or stinging where the cream has been applied, mild drying or flaking of the skin, redness of the skin and itching. If these side effects become troublesome or you notice any other unusual effects tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not use Aciclovir Cream 5% after the expiry date shown on the label. Keep the cream below 25°C and in the original packaging. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
KEEP IT IN A SECURE PLACE WHERE CHILDREN CANNOT GET AT OR SEE IT. REMEMBER, this medicine is for YOU only. NEVER give it to anyone else. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours. Unless your doctor tells you to, do not keep medicines that you no longer need - give them back to your pharmacist for safe disposal.