Take note: Threats to healthy sinuses can be all around us. But with a little preparation, you can steer clear of common problems.
- Check the pollen count. Allergens can be the worst sinus offenders. Be aware of the pollen count in your area and plan outdoor activities accordingly.
- Clean your sinus cavity. Nasal irrigation, or washing of the nasal cavity and nostrils with saline solution, can be done daily to help promote healthy sinuses.
- Recirculate air. When inside the house or car, close your windows and set teh air conditioner or heater to the setting that recirculates the air.
- Avoid irritants. Be aware of smoke and other air pollution - factors that may increase your risk for developing sinus complications.
- Avoid pressures. Changes in altitude can change how your sinuses act, so be aware of how activities such as flying, swimming, and diving can affect you.