Like any other medication, Cabaser can cause side effects. Studies have shown that the majority of people taking Cabaser either alone or in combination with other medications will experience at least some side effects. This reflects the fact that the medicine has to disrupt the chemical balance in the body in order to treat disease. Most of the side-effects are however mild and only last for a short period of time, while the body gets used to the drug. If you experience any of the following side-effects that are worrying you, do not hesitate to discuss them with your doctor. Note that the following lists of side effects are not necessarily exhaustive as new side effects can be discovered as more patients use the drug. The most commonly reported side effects of Cabaser are listed below. In studies these have occurred in between 3 to 20 percent of patients taking the drug alone or in combination with levodopa.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Dyskinesias- Abnormal movements.
- Abdominal pain.Constipation.
- Weakness or unusual sleepiness.
- Dry mouth.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nasal congestion.
- Postural hypotension- A fall in blood pressure when standing suddenly. This can lead to dizziness or fainting.
- Peripheral oedema- Swelling of the hands or feet.
- Mental symptoms such as paranoia or excessive gambling.
Uncommon side effects of Cabaser
More serious side effects occur in less than 1% of patients. These however are serious and required urgent medical attention. The most serious side effects of Cabaser that have been reported include:
- Allergic reactions which can be potentially life-threatening. Signs of allergy may include rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips and tongue, shortness of breath, wheezing or difficulty breathing. If any of these symptoms develop make sure you see your doctor or go to hospital immediately. This emphasises the importance of letting your doctor know any allergies that you may have prior to the commencement of the medication.
- Lung damage such as pleural effusion, inflammation, pleural and pulmonary fibrosis. If you develop any breathing problems whilst on Cabaser see your doctor and they will probably order a chest x-ray.
- Irregular heart beat.
- Severe psychiatric side effects such as hallucinations and irrational thoughts or ideas.