Doxycycline 100mg capsules are used to prevent and treat a wide range of infections from developing which are caused by bacteria.
Malaria is caused by the Plasmodium parasite which can be contracted through the bites of a mosquito. Typically the symptoms of malaria will manifest between 7 to 18 days of being bitten, depending on the specific parasite youâ€™re infected with.
Sufferers are typically bitten between dusk and dawn. The initial symptoms of malaria are flu-like and can be mild, making it difficult to diagnose.
Some forms of malaria occur in a 48-hour cycle, during which you feel cold at first with shivering. This then develops into a fever accompanied by severe sweating and fatigue which can last between 6 and 12 hours.
Other symptoms which can manifest include:
There are different types of malaria. The most serious is caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite which can lead to quickly developing life-threatening complications such as breathing problems and even organ failure.
This treatment can be obtained through our Online Doctor Service. Simply add to basket and head to the checkout to begin your consultation.
Swallow Doxycycline 100mg capsules whole, with a glass of water. It is best to take the capsules at the same time each day and itâ€™s important not to lie down for the 30 minutes after swallowing to they can get into your stomach as quickly as possible.
Please do not take more Doxycycline 100mg capsules than prescribed.
Take Doxycycline 100mg capsules exactly as your doctor has told you. If you are unclear on how to take this medicine, please check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Please note, like all medicine, Doxycycline 100mg capsules can cause side effects â€“ although this does not apply to everyone who has taken them. Side effects are usually temporary with continued treatment or disappear when you stop tacking the medicine.
Before taking your medicine please read the patient information leaflet in detail to acquaint yourself with the potential side effects.
If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to your GP in the first instance. Alternatively, contact our Online Clinic team for further assistance.
Please read all packaging before taking Doxycycline 100mg capsules.
Side effects associated with taking Doxycycline Capsules:
Like all medicines, Doxycycline capsules can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking the capsules immediately and seek urgent medical advice if:
• you notice that your skin is very sensitive to light (you may get a skin rash, itching, redness or severe sunburn when out in sunlight or after using a sun bed).
Contact your doctor at once if the following reactions happen:
• wheeziness, difficulty in breathing, fever, sudden swellings of the face, lips, throat, tongue, hands or feet, fast heart rate, low blood pressure, rash or itching (especially affecting the whole body), pericarditis (inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart)
• swollen tongue, watery diarrhoea, fever and cramps (pseudomembranous colitis), soreness and itching around the back passage and/or genital areas, inflammation around the vagina, or thrush of the vagina or mouth• worsening of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects or notice any other effects not listed:
• Blood: altered numbers of certain types of blood cells, you may notice that you bruise easily, have nose bleeds, or suffer from infections and sore throats, porphyria (sensitivity of the skin to sunlight, inflammation of nerves and stomach pains).
• Glands and hormones: discolouration of thyroid tissue (does not affect thyroid function).
• Central nervous system: headache, increased pressure in the skull (severe headaches, blurred and/or double vision, blind spots), permanent loss of vision, bulging fontanelles (soft spot on head) of infants.
• Ears: tinnitus (ringing or buzzing in the ears).
• Gastrointestinal tract: stomach pain, loss of appetite, feeling or being sick, heartburn, diarrhoea, difficulty swallowing, sore or painful tongue or mouth, inflammation and/or ulcers of the gullet, discolouration or underdevelopment of teeth.
• Liver: changes in liver function tests, inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), jaundice (yellowing of the skin or white of the eyes), liver failure and inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
• Skin: severe skin reactions such as erythema multiforme (circular, irregular red patches), Stevens-Johnson syndrome (rash with flushing, fever, blisters or ulcers), toxic epidermal necrolysis (reddening, peeling and swelling that resembles burns).
• Muscles and bones: muscle or joint pain.
• Kidneys: an increase in urea in the blood.If you notice any side effects, they get worse, or if you notice any not listed, please tell your doctor or pharmacist
The active ingredient is doxycycline hyclate 100mg.
The other ingredients in the capsule are
Sucrose, maize starch, crospovidone, polymethacrylate and talc. The capsule shell contains gelatine and the colourings E171, E132 and E172. The white printing contains shellac, propylene glycol, ammonium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and the colour E171.