Keeping your skin in top notch condition can be difficult. The changing seasons, central heating, pollution, hormones and even the food you eat can all have a big impact on the health and appearance of your skin. Working out what your skin is in need of can be tricky, but never fear. We have the answers, and the products to help.
On Chemist Direct, you can now shop Expert Skincare and find a wide range of Dermaskin products to help you keep your skin looking it’s best. But before you can shop, you need to identify your skin type, and any conditions.
- Normal: Normal skin has a smooth texture, with a clear surface with fine pores. It has no visible problem areas, such as blemishes, flaky areas or greasy patches. You’re in luck; most products are suitable for your skin.
- Oily: If you have oily skin, you have overactive sebaceous glands. You may have shiny skin with enlarged pores, and be prone to blackheads and blemishes. A good cleanser and toner can help keep oil under control. We love La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Lotion, which tightens pores and reduces excess sebum.
- Dry: Lack moisture and have tight, or flaking skin? Then your skin type is dry. It can appear dull, especially around the cheeks and eyes. This can mean fine lines appear more noticeable. A rich moisturiser or serum can be the solution. Try Eucerin Aquaporin Active Hydration Dry Skin, which can offer 24-hour hydration to thirsty skin.
- Combination: Combination skin is dry in some areas and oily in others. Often, the T-Zone is oily, and the cheeks are dry, which can mean you need different products for different areas.
- Acne: Acne occurs when pores become clogged, which traps oil inside. Bacteria grows, causing an inflammatory response in the skin. First, a good cleanser is your main weapon to clear out clogged pores. Treatments to cleanse and tighten pores will help prevent acne from returning. For an anti-acne treatment in one easy set, we love Avene Cleanance Anti-Blemish Kit. This easy daily routine cleanses, tones, hydrates and targets blemishes.
- Eczema & Psoriasis: This is different to regular dry skin, and requires a more intense treatment. A good emollient is an essential, such as Eucerin AtoControl Bath & Shower Oil, and is ideal to sooth itchy skin and add back much needed moisture.
- Rosacea: Rosacea makes skin red and flushed, often with a sensation of stinging or burning. You can keep it under control with cooling, soothing creams such as La Roche-Posay Rosaliac UV Light, which soothes redness, takes down the sting of Rosacea and protects from UV rays. Disguise redness with Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation.
- Intolerant skin: Intolerant Skin reacts to most skincare, with redness and irritation. Choose products with little to no parabens, fragrance or other skin irritants. Soothe a flair-up with Avene Tolerance Extreme Mask.
Our new Expert Skincare section is packed with solutions for even more conditions, including pigmentation and sensitive skin, and has products for anti-ageing, sun care and male skin. We’ll also be sharing regular guides, with more in-depth information on how to care for your skin type or conditions, and guides on ingredients, products and skin care trends!