Viridal 20 Duo Continuation Pack (2 injections)
1 (Prescription Only)
To purchase this item, you must have a valid prescription.
You need to post your prescription to us before we can send it to you.
Viridal duo contains the active ingredient Alprostadil. Alprostadil is the same as a naturally occurring chemical called prostaglandin E1 and is a type of medicine called a vasodilator. It is used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. This is a prescription only product.
How does Viridal Duo work?
Alprostadil is the same as a naturally occurring chemical called prostaglandin E1. This prostaglandin is thought to cause some types of blood vessels to widen by relaxing the thin layer of muscle found in the vessel wall.
An erection is produced via a complex chain of events, involving signals from the nervous system and the release of active chemicals, including prostaglandin E1 within the tissues of the penis. These chemicals cause blood vessels entering the penis to widen, allowing more blood to enter, and other blood vessels leaving the penis to constrict, stopping blood from leaving the penis.
Prostaglandin E1 plays an important role in this process and alprostadil, when administered directly into the penis, will ultimately cause the penis to become rigid and erect by increasing the blood flow into its tissues.
This preparation is administered by injection directly into the penis. Alternatively, a preparation of alprostadil exists which is administered into the opening at the end of the penis (urethra) - see the MUSE factsheet for further information.
What is Viridal Duo used for?
- Aid to diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction)
- If your erection lasts longer than 4 hours (priapism), consult a doctor immediately. Treatment of this condition should not be delayed more than 6 hours, as this can cause damage to the erectile tissue in the penis and irreversible erectile dysfunction.
- Regular check-ups with your doctor are recommended to detect any signs of fibrous tissue formation in the penis.
- Do not use this medicine more than once a day and more than three times a week.
- Re-constituted solutions of alprostadil are for single use only. Any remaining solution should be discarded carefully, as instructed by your doctor, and not be kept for a second injection.
- This medicine will not prevent pregnancy and a reliable form of contraception should be used by couples who do not wish to conceive.
- Follow the printed instructions you have been given with this medicine.
- This medicine will not protect you or your partner from sexually transmitted diseases. Using a condom can provide this protection. This is particularly important since the injection can cause bleeding, which increases the risk of disease transmission.
- Blood clotting disorders
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- History of drug dependence or abuse
- History of psychiatric illness
- History of small temporary strokes (transient ischaemic attacks)
- Lung disease
- Conditions in which sexual activity is not advisable, for example severe heart disorders
- Conditions such as sickle cell disease, bone cancer or leukaemia in which there is an increased risk of prolonged erections (priapism)
- Men who have an implant in their penis
- Physical abnormality of the penis, such as severe curvature, scarring or Peyronie\'s disease
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Urgent need to pass urine
- Persistent painful erection of the penis (priapism)
- Pain in the penis
- Pain in the testicles
- Formation of fibrous tissue within the penis
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Inflammation of the end of the penis (balanitis)
- Yeast infection
- Tightening of the foreskin
- Blood clots which form a solid swelling at the injection site (haematoma)
- Urethral bleeding
- Redness, swelling or itching at the injection site
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How can this medicine affect other medicines?
This medicine should not be used with any other treatment for erectile dysfunction.
People taking medicines to prevent the blood clotting (anticoagulants), such as warfarin, may have an increased risk of bleeding after the injection.