Prozac Capsule (Fluoxetine) 20mg
To purchase this item, you must have a valid prescription.
You need to post your prescription to us before we can send it to you.
Prozac Capsule (Fluoxetine) 20mg Prozac contains the active ingredient fluoxetine This medicine is used to treat major depressive episodes, obsessive-compulsive disorder & bulimia nervosa. To purchase this item you must have a private prescription from your doctor or medical profession.
Prozac Capsule (Fluxoetine) 20mg is a private prescription item. To purchase this item you must have a private prescription from your doctor or medical profession. If you require any help or assistance with purchasing Prozac Capsule 20mg please contact our pharmacy team.
Prozac contains fluoxetine which is one of a group of medicines called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants. This medicine is used to treat the following conditions:
- Major depressive episodes
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Bulimia nervosa: Prozac is used alongside psychotherapy for the reduction of binge-eating and purging
Children and adolescents aged 8 years and above:
- Moderate to severe major depressive disorder, if the depression does not respond to psychological therapy after 4-6 sessions.
- Prozac should be offered to a child or young person with moderate to severe major depressive disorder only in combination with psychological therapy.
Prozac Capsule (Fluoxetine) 20MG: Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. Do not chew the capsules.
Adults: The usual dose is:
Depression: The recommended dose is 1 capsule (20 mg) daily. Your doctor will review and adjust your dosage if necessary within 3 to 4 weeks of the start of treatment. If required, the dosage can be gradually increased up to a maximum of 3 capsules (60 mg) daily. The dose should be increased carefully to ensure that you receive the lowest effective dose. You may not feel better immediately when you first start taking your medicine for depression. This is usual because an improvement in depressive symptoms may not occur until after the first few weeks. Patients with depression should be treated for at least 6 months.
Bulimia nervosa: The recommended dose is 3 capsules (60 mg) daily.
OCD: The recommended dose is 1 capsule (20 mg) daily. Your doctor will review and adjust your dosage if necessary after 2 weeks of treatment. If required, the dosage can be gradually increased up to a maximum of 3 capsules (60 mg) daily. If no improvement is noted within 10 weeks, your doctor will reconsider your treatment.
Children and adolescents aged 8 to 18 years with depression:Treatment should be started and be supervised by a specialist. The starting dose is 10mg/day (given as 2.5ml of Prozac oral liquid). After 1 to 2 weeks, your doctor may increase the dose to 20mg/day. The dose should be increased carefully to ensure that you receive the lowest effective dose. Lower weight children may need lower doses. Your doctor will review the need for continuing treatment beyond 6 months, and treatment will be reassessed if no improvement is seen.
Elderly: Your doctor will increase the dose with more caution and the daily dose should generally not exceed 2 capsules (40 mg). The maximum dose is 3 capsules (60 mg) daily. Liver impairment: If you have a liver problem or are using other medication that might affect Prozac, your doctor may decide to prescribe a lower dose or tell you to use Prozac every other day.
Prozac Capsule (Fluoxetine) 20mg:
Do not take Prozac if you are:
- Allergic (hypersensitive) to fluoxetine or any of the other ingredients of Prozac
- If you develop a rash or other allergic reactions (like itching, swollen lips or face or shortness of breath), stop taking the capsules straight away and contact your doctor immediately.
- Taking other medicines used to treat depression, known as non-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors or reversible monoamine oxidase inhibitors type A (MAOIs), since serious or even fatal reactions can occur. Examples of MAOIs include nialamide, iproniazide, selegeline, moclobemide, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazid and toloxatone.
Prozac Capsule (Fluoxetine) 20mg:
- The active substance is fluoxetine hydrochloride. Each capsule contains fluoxetine hydrochloride equivalent to 20 milligram (mg) of fluoxetine.
- Other ingredients inside the capsule are: starch flowable and dimeticone.
- The capsule shell is made of gelatin, patent blue V (E131), yellow iron oxide (E172), titanium dioxide (E171), and black edible printing ink, which contains shellac and black iron oxide (E172).