Modafinil Tablet 100mg
To purchase this item, you must have a valid prescription.
You need to post your prescription to us before we can send it to you.
Modafinil Tablet 100mg increases wakefulness and daytime alertness in people who experience excessive sleepiness during the day, either due to narcolepsy, or due to a syndrome called obstructive sleep apnoea. It can also be used to improve wakefulness and alertness in people who suffer moderate to severe sleep disorders as a result of chronic shift work.
Modafinil Tablet 100mg is a type of medicine known as a CNS stimulant. It works by stimulating activity within the central nervous system, ie the brain and spinal cord. It is indicated for the symptomatic relief of excessive sleepiness associated with Narcolepsy.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome (OSAHS)
- Moderate to severe chronic shift work sleep disorder (SWSD)
What does Modafinil do?
Modafinil increases wakefulness and daytime alertness in people who experience excessive sleepiness during the day, either due to narcolepsy, or due to a syndrome called obstructive sleep apnoea. It can also be used to improve wakefulness and alertness in people who suffer moderate to severe sleep disorders as a result of chronic shift work. However, the medicine should not be used as a replacement for sleep and you should talk to your doctor about ways to try and maintain good sleep patterns.
How does it work?
The way in which modafinil improves wakefulness is not yet fully understood, but it is believed to have an effect on specific parts of the brain responsible for keeping us awake.
Additional information for the safe use of this product
Treatment should be initiated by or under the supervision of a physician with appropriate knowledge of relevant sleep disorders.
Modafinil treats the symptom of excessive sleepiness associated with the above conditions. Where appropriate, every effort should be made to treat the underlying condition prior to initiating treatment with Modafinil.
In patients with excessive sleepiness due to moderate to severe chronic SWSD, appropriate steps to ensure adequate sleep should be taken prior to determining the requirement for Modafinil.
Excessive sleepiness is defined as difficulty maintaining wakefulness and an increased likelihood of falling asleep in inappropriate situations.
Modafinil Tablet 100mg: For oral use. Tablets should be swallowed whole.
Narcolepsy and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea / Hypopnoea Syndrome:
The recommended daily dose is 200-400 mg, commencing at 200 mg. It may be taken as two divided doses in the morning and at noon, or as a single dose in the morning.
Modafinil treats the symptom of excessive daytime sleepiness associated with the condition.
Moderate to Severe Chronic Shift Work Sleep Disorder:
The recommended daily dose is 200 mg. It should be taken as a single dose approximately 1 hour prior to the start of the work shift.
Modafinil Tablet 100mg:
- Patients should be advised that Modafinil is not a replacement for sleep and good sleep hygiene should be maintained. Steps to ensure good sleep hygiene may include a review of caffeine intake.
- Whilst studies with modafinil have demonstrated a low potential for dependence, the possibility of dependence with long-term use cannot be entirely excluded.
- Modafinil tablets contain lactose and therefore should not be used in patients with rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency, or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Effects on ability to drive and use machines
There is no information available concerning the effects of Modafinil on vehicle driving and/or the ability to use machinery. Undesirable effects such as blurred vision or dizziness might affect ability to drive.
You should carefully read all product packaging and labels prior to use
Modafinil Tablet 100mg: The frequency of undesirable effects considered at least possibly related to treatment, in clinical trials involving 1561 patients taking Modafinil were as follows: very common1/10, common1/100 to 1/10, uncommon1/1000 to 1/100.
The most commonly reported adverse drug reaction is headache, affecting approximately 21% of patients. This is usually mild or moderate, dose-dependent and disappears within a few days.
Nervous system disorders
- Very common: headache
- Common: dizziness, somnolence, paraesthesia
- Uncommon: dyskinesia, hypertonia, hyperkinesia, amnesia, migraine, tremor, vertigo, CNS stimulation, hypoaesthesia, incoordination, movement disorder, speech disorder, taste perversion
- Common: blurred vision
- Uncommon: abnormal vision, dry eye
- Common: abdominal pain, nausea, dry mouth, diarrhoea, dyspepsia, constipation
- Uncommon: flatulence, reflux, vomiting, dysphagia, glossitis, mouth ulcers
Metabolism and nutrition disorders
- Common: decreased appetite
- Uncommon: hypercholesterolaemia, hyperglycaemia, diabetes mellitus, increased appetite