Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream
Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream is a medicine which is used to treat inflamed sweat rash or Athlete's Foot. The cream contains the ingredients, Hydrocortisone acetate which is a mild 'topical steroid' that reduces inflammation, swelling, redness and itching of the skin. Miconazole nitrate is an antifungal which works by destroying both the fungus that causes the infection and some of the associated bacteria which may also be present.
Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream gets to work quickly to relieve both aspects of infected, inflamed sweat rash, easing the inflammation, redness and itching. It can also be used to treat the fungal and bacterial infection caused by athlete's foot.
What is Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream used for?
- Athletes Foot (tinea pedis) is a fungal skin infection causing soreness, itching and flaking between the toes or on the soles or sides of the feet
- Sweat rash (candida intertrigo, or 'thrush' of the skin folds) is a sore, itchy red rash found in areas where the skin rubs together e.g. below or between the breasts, underarms, tops of legs or the groin or other skin areas.
Daktacort hydrocortisone cream contains two active ingredients, miconazole and hydrocortisone.
- Miconazole is a type of antifungal medicine. It kills fungi, yeasts and some bacteria (Staphylococcus and Streptococcus species).
- Hydrocortisone is used to decrease inflammation in the skin. When applied to the skin it is absorbed into the skin cells. It reduces inflammation and thus relieves swelling, redness and itching.
How Daktacort works:
The combination of medicines in Daktacort hydrocortisone cream is used to treat a fungal infection of the skin on the feet called athlete's foot, and another fungal infection of the skin called Candidal intertrigo.
This occurs between folds of skin or areas of skin that rub together, e.g between the buttocks or thighs, or beneath the breasts, and is due to overgrowth of Candida species of fungi in these warm, moist areas. The miconazole in this medicine kills the fungi causing these infections, while the hydrocortisone reduces the associated inflammation and relieves redness, swelling and itching.
How to use Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream:
- Adults and children aged 10 years and over: Apply cream twice a day for up to 7 days.
- Wash infected skin and dry thoroughly.
- Adults and children aged 10 years and over: Apply cream on the affected area twice a day.
- Do not use cream for more than seven days.
- Unless the infected skin is on your hands, wash your hands carefully to avoid spreading the infection to other parts of the body or to other people. Similarly, you should also wash and change any clothes which have touched the infected areas.
Do not use Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream:
- If you are allergic to any similar creams or to any of the ingredients in this medicine. You may be allergic to the product if you have a rash or itching at the site of infection which gets worse after you apply the cream. If this applies to you, you should talk to your pharmacist or doctor before using the medicine.
- For any other skin problems such as cold sores, acne, herpes, chicken pox or shingles
- If the skin is broken
- On large areas of your body or under dressings
- For more than seven days
- On your face or eyes
- On areas of skin affected by eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis
- On the anal or genital area
- To treat ringworm
- To treat any other infections which occur as a result of your original infection
The side effects of Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream:
- Most people do not have any problems when they use this cream. If your condition seems to get worse while you are using the cream, you may be allergic to it. In this case, stop using it and talk to your doctor.
- If your medicine affects you in any other way, you should talk to your pharmacist or doctor.
Daktacort Hydrocortisone Cream contains:
The active ingredients: Miconazole nitrate 2 %w/w and Hydrocortisone acetate equivalent to hydrocortisone 1 %w/w.
An excellent, quick acting cream.
Has worked well on a fungal rash. Not easy to rub into skin but have used for a week and my rash has resolved. Very pleased!