Clomid (Clomifene Citrate) 50mg Tablet
1 (Prescription Only)
To purchase this item, you must have a valid prescription.
You need to post your prescription to us before we can send it to you.
Clomid 50mg Tablets contain a medicine called clomifene citrate. This belongs to a group of medicines called ovulation stimulants. It works by stimulating the release of eggs from the ovary (ovulation). Clomid is used for some types of infertility, in women who are not ovulating properly.
Clomid (Clomifene Citrate) 50mg Tablets: Clomid tablets contain the active ingredient clomifene citrate (previously spelt clomiphene in the UK). It is from a group of medicines called antioestrogens which are used to treat some types of infertility. Clomiphene causes an increase in the hormones in the body which control the development and release of an egg in ovulation. It helps to re-start or encourage regular ovulation. This is a prescription only product.
How does it work?
Clomifene is used to stimulate ovulation in women whose infertility is due to problems with ovulation.
Clomifene works by causing an increase in the levels of hormones in the female body which control the development and release of an egg. These hormones are released from the pituitary gland in the brain and are known as follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinising hormone (LH). FSH stimulates the ovaries and LH causes the release of an egg from the ovaries (ovulation).
Oestrogen normally causes the brain to stop releasing FSH and LH following ovulation, as part of the normal menstrual cycle. It does this by acting on receptors in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which sends messages to the pituitary gland.
Clomifene works by blocking the oestrogen receptors in the hypothalamus. This stops oestrogen from acting on these receptors, and therefore stops the message being sent to the pituitary gland. This results in the release of more FSH and LH from the pituitary gland. The increase in these hormones increases the chances of egg development and ovulation.
What is it used for?
Infertility in women caused by failure of ovulation
Please refer to the patient information leaflet provided for all information concerning Clomid.
Clomid (Clomifene Citrate) 50mg Tablets:
Always take Clomid exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Adult women only:
- Your doctor will tell you when in your menstrual cycle to start taking the tablets
- For the first course of treatment, take one tablet a day for five days.
- If you do not have a period after the first course of treatment your doctor will increase your dose to two tablets a day for five days.
- You should start this second course at least 30 days after the first course
- You will not usually take more than three courses of treatment. If ovulation does not happen after three courses talk to your doctor
- This medicine should not be taken by children, adolescents, men or women who have already gone through the menopause (post-menopausal).
Clomid (Clomifene Citrate) 50mg Tablet:
Before you take the medicine talk to you doctor about the risks of:
- Becoming pregnant with more than one child at the same time (multiple pregnancies)
- Pregnancies where the baby grows outside of the womb (ectopic)
- Increased risk of cancer in the ovaries
- Any pregnancy could lead to birth defects or miscarriage. This can happen even if you are not taking Clomid. You should talk to your doctor about the possible risks before you take Clomid.
Do not take this medicine and tell your doctor if:
You are allergic (hypersensitive) to clomifene or any of the other ingredients of Clomid (listed in Section 6 below).
Signs of an allergic reaction include:
- A rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- You have or ever had liver disease
- You have unusual menstrual bleeding where the cause is not known
- You have a type of cancer that is made worse by hormones
- You have a cyst on your ovary
- You are pregnant. You should have a test to make sure you are not pregnant before you take Clomid
Do not take this medicine if any of the above apply to you.
Clomid (Clomifene Citrate) 50mg Tablets:
- Each tablet contains 50mg of the active substance, clomifene citrate
- The other ingredients are sucrose, lactose, soluble starch, maize starch, magnesium stearate, iron oxide yellow (E172), purified water