Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets (Low Dose Aspirin)
Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets, commonly referred to as low dose aspirin is useful for patients suffering from angina and after a heart attack or stroke and following by-pass surgery. Not to be used for pain relief.
How to take Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets:
- Administration in adults: Patients should seek the advice of a doctor before commencing therapy for the first time. The usual dosage, for long-term use, is 75-150mg once daily. In some circumstances a higher dose may be appropriate, especially in the short term, and up to 300mg a day may be used on the advice of a doctor.
- Antithrombotic action: 150mg at diagnosis and 75mg daily thereafter. Tablets taken at diagnosis should be chewed in order to gain rapid absorption.
- The elderly: The risk-benefit ratio of the antithrombotic action of aspirin has not been fully established.
- Children: Do not give to children aged under 16 years, unless specifically indicated (e.g. for Kawasaki's disease).
Precautions to consider before taking Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets:
Consult with your doctor before starting this treatment for blood thinning. Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets are not to be used for pain relief.
· There is a possible association between aspirin and Reye's syndrome when given to children. Reye's syndrome is a very rare disease, which affects the brain and liver, and can be fatal. For this reason aspirin should not be given to children aged under 16 years unless specifically indicated (e.g. for Kawasaki's disease).
· Salicylates may enhance the effect of oral hypoglycaemic agents, phenytoin and sodium valproate. They inhibit the uricosuric effect of probenecid and may increase the toxicity of sulphonamides.
· Aspirin may potentiate the effect of heparin and increases the risk of bleeding with oral anticoagulants, antiplatelet agents and fibrinolytics.
· Plasma salicylate concentrations may be reduced by concurrent use of corticosteroids, and salicylate toxicity may occur following withdrawal of the corticosteroids. The risk of gastrointestinal ulceration and bleeding may be increased when aspirin and corticosteroids are co-administered.
· Concurrent use of aspirin and other NSAIDs should be avoided. Use of two or more NSAID preparations increases the risk of serious gastrointestinal haemorrhage. Concurrent administration of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors such as acetazolamide and salicylates may result in severe acidosis and increased central nervous system toxicity. In large doses, salicylates may also decrease insulin requirements. Patients using enteric coated aspirin should be advised against ingesting antacids simultaneously to avoid premature drug release.
· Before commencing long-term aspirin therapy for the management of cerebrovascular or cardiovascular disease patients should consult their doctor who can advise on the relative benefits versus the risks for the individual patient.
· Aspirin decreases platelet adhesiveness and increases bleeding time. Haematological and haemorrhagic effects can occur, and may be severe. Patients should report any unusual bleeding symptoms to their physician.
· Salicylates should be used with caution in patients with a history of peptic ulceration or coagulation abnormalities. They may also induce gastro-intestinal haemorrhage, occasionally major.
· They may also precipitate bronchospasm or induce attacks of asthma in susceptible subjects.
· Aspirin should be used with caution in patients with impaired renal function (avoid if severe), or in patients who are dehydrated.
· Patients with hypertension should be carefully monitored.
Possible side effects whilst taking Aspirin Enteric Coated 75mg Tablets:
- All medicines may cause some unwanted or 'side-effects' in a few patients.
- Aspirin may trigger asthma attacks and wheezing or difficulty in breathing in asthma sufferers or other hypersensitivity reactions in susceptible individuals.
- If you notice any blood or discoloration in your stools, tell your doctor immediately.
Each Aspirin Enteric Coated 75MG Tablet contains:
75 mg aspirin
great and cheap product excellent service and fast delivery
Good price, good quality